AitB Forums Alpha Public House The X-Files!!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Le Chat Noir Le Chat Noir 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I know we have several fans of The X-Files here! IT’S BACK! Not just rumors, for real! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/x-files-revived-at-fox-783960?utm_source=twitter

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are both signed on to reprise the roles of FBI agents Mulder and Scully.

It’s official: the truth is still out there.

Months of rumblings about a TV revival of Fox’s landmark series, The X-Files, have panned out. The drama is set to return for a limited run on its original network.

Both David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have locked in to reprise the respective roles of FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, parts they originated in 1993 and played (for the most part) over nine seasons and two feature films. Production on the six-part series this summer, with a premiere date to be announced at a later date.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” said series creator and executive producer Chris Carter, also returning. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

For Fox Television Group chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman, it’s also a reunion. They were both with 20th Century Fox Television when the studio first launched the serial about paranormal investigations more than 20 years ago.
    “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Newman and Walden. “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

They’re not the only ones who’ve been waiting. The series boasts a rabid fan base. The films raked in a respective $190 and $68 million worldwide. And at its high point, between the fourth and sixth seasons, the series was grabbing nearly 20 million viewers a week. It was the highest-rated show on Fox at the time.

The X Files has since earned the status as one of the greatest incubators for TV writer talent from the last 30 years. Alums of the writers room include Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan and Homeland’s Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon — among many others.

It seems that any late series is fair game for resurrection these days. Showtime recently landed a revival of David Lynch’s iconic Twin Peaks, and Fox brought back another 20th TV property, 24, just last year. Walden and Newman have also mentioned being open about an event treatment of Prison Break.

I’m super-psyched for Twin Peaks, too. Would we consider Fox Mulder and Dale Cooper to be Holmes archetypes? Sort of?

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

I AM SO EXCITED I COULD DIE.

I don’t know if Mulder is Holmes-esque. He’s not really that great an FBI agent, is he? *ducks* I mean, he’s so believe-y. I love him, I do, he’s precious to my heart, but he’s not very, y’know, scientific. Bless his heart. The closest he got to Holmes was getting X-rated with Phoebe Green on ACD’s grave. Stop it, you classy trollops!

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

HAHA he’s so…not. I suppose I was thinking in terms of how he and Cooper are both sorta eccentric and Mulder gets a little bit “you know my methods” with Scully at times. I forgot about ACD’s grave. That was gross! lol

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

That wasn’t gross — that was awesome fanfiction smut from Chris Carter! Yeah, that image made an impression on my poor kitten mind back in the day. 😉

I actually can’t remember much if anything about Cooper; I wasn’t tooooo into “Twin Peaks,” believe it or not. I watched it, but I didn’t worship it like I did with “X-Files.”

Definitely in terms of eccentricities, I can agree with you on both counts though. I think some Sherlock somewhere should eat sunflower seeds. BECAUSE. I think Holmes should tip his wee cap to Mulder!

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I just remember being SO PUT OUT by that. I was a wee little thing. Speaking of wee little things, Mark Sheppard is SO WEE in his firestarter episode. It makes me gleeful.

I didn’t see a lot of Twin Peaks until I was older. Bob scared the BEJESUS out of me. I still have a nightmare sometimes where a creepy dude is crawling up my bed. FREAKY AS HALE

I’m surprised Downey Holmes didn’t do that. He eats a lot in his films. The blueberries in Avengers was totally him just snacking on set and no one told him to stop. XD

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

I loved Mark Sheppard in Fire. So unbelievable menacing and awesome.
      Well, someone needs to put a bag of sunflower seeds in the RDJ’s hand and direct him to chew and spit. Did men in Victorian England snack on sunflower seeds? Can we get someone to look that up? I pretty sure it would be anachronistic, but I’m ready to give it a pass. A bag of seeds could be costumed in a steampunk sort of satchel. This could easily happen. Put me on it, Guy Ritchie!

Cionaudha
      Cionaudha
      Participant

BOB. Holy mother of God. I was all alone in the house when I saw the episode where Bob first shows up. He was the reason I couldn’t keep watching the show. Too askeered!

ScarletSherlock
        ScarletSherlock

I think there’s a certain age group that has a legitimate fear of creepy scruffy guys because of him. That was just SO DISTURBING. A lot of the show was, but man, Bob is the WORST.

The Speckled Band
    Participant

X-Files!!!!!!!!!! The first show I ever wrote fanfiction for and included a total Mary Sue character. In my defense I had no idea what a Mary Sue was. LOL! This was during the AOL times and I was in an X-Files newsgroup where I promptly received the nickname Morley because my username was CSMsWife. Hahaha!

Roylott: You scoundrel, sir. I've heard of you before! You are Holmes the meddler, Holmes the busybody, Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-office!

Holmes: [short burst of laughter] Your conversation really is most entertaining. If you would close the door, on your way out, as there is a decided draught.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I did not know about the Morley incident. That is awesome!

The Speckled Band
      Participant

Yes! I still talk to a few of those girls too. We each got a “couch cushion” and were picked items from the show to become keepers of. I also ran an X-Files newsletter that I would send through e-mail. I quit when a girl said she hoped Tea Leoni lost her baby when she got pregnant. NOT COOL!!

Roylott: You scoundrel, sir. I've heard of you before! You are Holmes the meddler, Holmes the busybody, Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-office!

Holmes: [short burst of laughter] Your conversation really is most entertaining. If you would close the door, on your way out, as there is a decided draught.

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

I’m pretty sure X-Files was my first introduction to fan fiction. Gawd, so young and innocent was I! I remember the Gossamer website with great fondness. I don’t even know if it exists anymore.

And I think you can be forgiven for writing a Mary Sue. That’s so sweet! Was she an FBI agent? Was she better than Mulder and Scully?

The Speckled Band
    Participant

Oh I was obsessed with Gossamer too! I never posted any of my fic there though.
    Haha! She worked in the police office in the town where they were investigating. As she walked past Mulder he was staring at her ass and Scully smacked his arm. Oh lawd how embarrassing! HAHAHAHA!

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

I never even wrote X-Files fic; I was just a trashy reader of awesome filth. 😀

Now I think your fic sounds cute! I support Mary Sues who make Mulder oogle their asses. That’s in character. And Scully resorting to violence? Huzzah! I think Mulder often needs his ass handed to him on a silver platter. I mean, I love Mulder, but …

Sherlockian
    Sherlockian
    Participant

I don’t know if Mulder is Holmes-esque. He’s not really that great an FBI agent, is he? *ducks* I mean, he’s so believe-y. I love him, I do, he’s precious to my heart, but he’s not very, y’know, scientific. Bless his heart. The closest he got to Holmes was getting X-rated with Phoebe Green on ACD’s grave. Stop it, you classy trollops!

This is that conversation between Green and Mulder.

Phoebe Green: Unless l’m mistaken ten years seem sufficient time to have forgiven if not forgotten a few youthful indiscretions.

Fox Mulder: l’m cursed with a photographic memory.

Phoebe Green: Then don’t you tell me that you’ve forgotten a certain youthful indiscretion atop Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s tombstone on a misty night in Windlesham.

😛 I wonder how and what kind of indiscretion could have happened atop this:

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Sherlockian Sherlockian.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Sherlockian Sherlockian.

"Never mind your usual petty puzzles of the police-court." – Mycroft Holmes

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

HAHAHAHAHA that looks like it would hurt. :mrgreen:

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

DELIGHTFUL! Thank you, writer of “Fire,” for that yummy scene of carnal defacement of ACD’s grave. 😯

Sherlockian
    Sherlockian
    Participant

Other bits from that episode:

Mulder: So what brings you on this detour to Washington DC, lnspector?

Green: l figured my friend Mulder couldn’t resist a three-pipe problem.

Or this:

Scully: So, Sherlock, is the game afoot?

Mulder: Afraid so, Watson.

"Never mind your usual petty puzzles of the police-court." – Mycroft Holmes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.