AitB Forums Covent Garden Television The Overuse of Irene Adler

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Le Chat Noir Le Chat Noir 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

I got into a debate on Twitter tonight about Irene Adler. My view is that the character has been used too much in recent adaptations. I don’t dislike Irene, but I feel like other female characters such as Kitty Winter and Violet Smith to name a few should be put into stories instead of Irene. My big hang up with Irene being used all the time is that when she is put into a story, there’s the huge temptation to make her a love interest to Holmes, which she never was in the canon. We’ve seen this in Sherlock, Elementary, and the RDJ films. The three Irenes in those universes were very different from each other, but they all have some sort of romantic connection to the great detective. All I’m saying is, give Irene and her non-existent love life with Sherlock Holmes a rest and use some of the other great female characters from the canon for a change. What are your thoughts?

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

I got into a debate on Twitter tonight about Irene Adler.

See, this is why I love/hate Twitter very much. Based on our Twittering, I thought I disagreed with you. Now that I can read your argument in its entirety, I think I wholly agree!

I think my argument is less about how much she is used, and more that I rarely enjoy how she’s used. I’m with you: I’m tired of her being the love interest. She wasn’t a love interest in the Canon, and she has a Canon love interest, Godfrey the Awesome. Look, I get the appeal entirely. Adler is a great character. If you want to ship (a woman) with Holmes, it’s natural to go to her. But let’s just stop doing that. Seriously, I haven’t seen any representation of Irene lately that adds something interesting to her or does something interesting with her, except for the “Swords of Sorrow” comic book series. It’s only just started though, so I can’t be sure, but I do trust Gail Simone and Leah Moore to be clever.

I don’t dislike Irene, but I feel like other female characters such as Kitty Winter and Violet Smith to name a few should be put into stories instead of Irene.

Agreed. Again, I don’t want people to avoid using Adler, but I would love, love , love to see Winter, Smith, Hunter, Stoner etc. appear all over the place. There are several very interesting women in the Canon — I’d like to see some of the lesser loved get some page/screen time!

I will say, I liked Kitty as she was realized in “Elementary.” And I thought, “Yes, here we go, mine the Canon and give some other characters an update! Let’s see how they live and breathe.” But everyone should be doing more, spreading the wealth and forging new, interesting ground. There are several tropes that I would love for people to just drop for about 10 years.

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.