AitB Forums Art in the Blood.net Registration (blog repost)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Le Chat Noir Le Chat Noir 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

(posting Le Chat Noir’s blog post here for convenience)

Dear friends,

So, we are having some issues with registration. Because, if things went smoothly, where would be the fun? *kicks WordPress*

Here’s what’s up: People are getting error messages, but the contact forms seem to be coming in correctly. You need to wait until either ScarletSherlock or I see your form and then put you in as a user. The system is then SUPPOSED to shoot you an email with the temporary password. Again, it seems to be failing to do this.

1. The temporary password is SherlockHolmes for now. When in doubt, try to sign in with your user name and that.

2. I have submitted a question post to the support forum to try to figure out why this is happening. Everything “looks” okay on our end, but obviously it is not. Tiny Holmes in the banner must be angry with me for some reason.

3. I am actually going out of town today and will be away from my laptop until Sunday night! Lawd, help me. I will have internet access though, and ScarletSherlock is almost always online, so it’s not like we’re just abandoning everyone, but I will be a little out of pocket. When I get an answer regarding the error message and email issues, I will definitely let everyone know.

Please comment here if you’re having any additional issues. I will be monitoring everything as best as possible. You can also email us at 221bartintheblood@gmail.com. I’ll be checking that as often as possible.

Cheers! –Chat

Additional message from ScarletSherlock: I’ll be around…basically forever. I’m at a Sherlockian Symposium in Dayton, Ohio this weekend so I’ll be checking in often! Please bear with us. We realize this process is a bear, but given the hacking issues that plagued HN from the beginning, we’re being a lot more militant. People are already posting in the forums with no issues once we’ve got them in, so hopefully as soon as this process is streamlined it’ll take off like gangbusters! I’ll be on twitter @Art_intheBlood and my own @HolmesBlazer too so you can yell at me and I’ll see it basically immediately (unless it’s 3 or 4 am, then it might be a couple hours. XD) .

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Sherlockian
    Sherlockian
    Participant

Looks like “Jim from IT” is messing with the registration. Maybe he just wants us to have a forum about Moriarty instead of Holmes.

"Never mind your usual petty puzzles of the police-court." – Mycroft Holmes

Vidocq
    Participant

Isn’t this current method of registration a bit too complicated? Or is it a security measure?

You can read my movie reviews in spanish at SofaPerdido.net

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

Totally a security measure.

HN was decimated by spammers and hackers who actually slipped my the relatively decent security I had set up. The mods used to approve each new account there too, and wham, it all burned to the ground.

This is pretty much the same, I think, except for the fact that we actually input each person’s info rather than just tick an “Approve” box. The fact that people actually have to fill out a form and pass a capcha is good, but there’s also a level of security when I know that if someone starts going bonkers, I can quickly ID them and delete them.

I mean, I encourage bonkers behavior, but I draw the line at destroying code or posting about male enhancement drugs. Unless it’s related to the Canon or something. 😉

WordPress and GoDaddy swear that they are hack/spam resistant, but … yeah. The biggest problem was when the email service decided not to work. That was just plain stupid. Once I got that sorted, registration started being easy breezy.

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.