Menu Close

Peter Beagle's "Mr. Sigerson"

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ScarletSherlock ScarletSherlock 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

This short story, which is found in the delightful Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years anthology and in Beagle’s own The Line Between, is one of my absolute favorites. First, I just love Beagle (who is best known for The Last Unicorn), and this is just another example for me of how lyrical and sensitive his writing is. It’s such a seemingly small story that takes place in during the Hiatus, but I think it’s very rich and compelling. “Mr. Sigerson” fits perfectly in my head canon of Holmes’ adventures (big and small) during his time away from Baker Street.

If you haven’t read it, go read it! Once you’ve read it, come back to talk with me about it!

ETA: I should say that I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Beagle at San Diego Comic Con back in, oh, 2009? He was so incredibly sweet to me, and I was a gaping fish of a fool. I tried to tell him how much I adored his work, and I failed. I rarely ever get star-struck, but writers just slay me. He is, though, super nice, so if you have a chance to shake his hand, do so!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Le Chat Noir Le Chat Noir.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Le Chat Noir Le Chat Noir.

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

EEEEEEEEEEE. This is one of my absolute favorite pastiches (I should make a list?). It’s so, so amazingly perfect. Quiet and simple. A little sad? But then not. It’s just so great, such an unexpected little gem of a story. Peter is coming here with The Last Unicorn tour NEXT YEAR (auuugh) and I am going even if I’m dead. I love that man.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

I should make a list?

Yes! There are so many poorly written pastiches out there, good ones are always worth hearing about.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I’m working on it. 😀 😀 It’s going to be a rather large list!!

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar