Menu Close

Murder by Decree

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Sherbethed 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Sherbethed
    Participant

I think this is one of the best adaptations out there. Certainly, it’s very atmospheric. Holmes and Watson (especially Watson!) are significantly older than they ought to be, but Christopher Plummer and James Mason, wow! Like Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, they have all the affection for each other of two best friends who have known each other for a long time.
    Christopher Plummer’s Holmes might not be the most nuanced, but I think he portrays something that I think often gets overlooked: Holmes’s passion for justice, and even his sensitivity. When I was just getting into the Sherlock Holmes fandom proper, my only exposure to Christopher Plummer at the time had been The Sound of Music, and I remember thinking that he would make a fantastic Holmes. I was so excited when I found out that he had! I think he’s probably my favorite. The scene at the end in Whitehall, he is absolutely on-fire, and I love it.

You brought me back for more than my sparkling wit and good looks.
    —Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

I started to respond to you, and then I thought, “Hmm, I really don’t remember this one so well,” so I went looking and BAM, this sucker is streaming on Netflix! I’m going to go do a wee rewatch and then come back to chat your up.

You know, this would be a great one to do a tweet-along to. Maybe after July and Game of Shadows, we should put Murder by Decree on the roster!

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

Sherbethed
    Participant

Ooo, that would be awesome! I haven’t managed to do an online watch-along yet, but that would definitely be fun.
    (Oops, I meant to say above that Christopher Plummer was one of my favorites. My top is definitely Jeremy Brett. 😀 )

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

ooh yes let’s live tweet! I remember Plummer as a really kind Holmes and they do have quite a wonderful relationship. This is the one everyone remembers for “Holmes. You squashed my pea.” but in terms of Holmes/Ripper movies I like this one way better than A Study in Terror (though John Neville is good too).

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Sherbethed
    Participant

Hah, the pea scene is a classic, innit? 😆
    I still have to see A Study in Terror, but I do hear that most people who’ve seen both prefer MBD.

WorldOfJoeRiggs
    Participant

Indeed Plummer is way better than Neville! And I think a Murder By Decree Tweet along would be great. I enjoy the adaptation, loved it since I was very young. But let’s be honest, it’s very, very, roasteable. It has the perfect about of greatness mixed with a heaping helping of CHEESE. lol. James Mason is great, and his Watson is fun to watch.
    However, the only thing that I complain about is Christopher Plumbers general image. I feel he looks the LEAST like Sherlock Holmes than just about any actor. Yet he makes up for it in suave and devil-may-care.
    I’m in for a Tweet Along!

-Joe Riggs
    Mentalist/Deductionist
    www.TheWorldOfJoeRiggs.com

Sherbethed
    Participant

Lol, yeah, won’t deny the cheese is there.
    Ah, yeah, I still don’t really understand why Christopher Plummer went blond—that was exactly the wrong coloring for Holmes! But yeah, his charisma totally makes up for it. <3

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar