Menu Close

IA based project "I Am Lost Without My Boswell"

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar iamlostwithoutmyboswell 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Hi there, my name is David Harnois and I’m the director/Holmes for “I Am Lost Without My Boswell”. We are an all volunteer effort to do audio dramatizations of the entire canon. Basically, we are doing internet radio plays. You can head over to http://www.iamlostwithoutmyboswell.com and see what we are up to. We have already completed “A Scandal in Bohemia” and “The Red-Headed League”; currently we’re working on “A Case of Identity”.

David H., I Am Lost Without My Boswell

David,

I would love, love, love to audition for one of your shows if you’re taking people. I am an actor. Here’s a link to my website: http://madisongarvinlee.weebly.com/

Please let me know when you’re auditioning for your next story! Until then, I’ll be listening in. 🙂

Regards,
    S.C.

"Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent." IDEN

You are welcome to submit a general audition at any time! Just head to the website and click on “Auditions” for more info!

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

David got interviewed on I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere! http://www.ihearofsherlock.com/2015/03/new-audio-web-series-tackles-canon.html#.VRBAb47F91Y

Congratulations!

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

I was just going to share this, but you beat me to it. Thanks for sharing, it’s very exciting!

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

David,

I haven’t listened to your interview yet, but I have some questions. If you already answered these, would you be so kind as to answer them again here?

How many people tend to audition for your episodes?
    How long does it take to rehearse, perform/record and edit an episode?
    How are you choosing which short stories to adapt?

It would be awesome if you can post here as you go through the process of creating the IDEN episode. I think people would be interested in how everything is created in addition to the final product. I know I’m fascinated!

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

Happy to!

— How many people tend to audition for your episodes?
    It’s been around half a dozen per story, excluding people who have just submitted a general audition. I have a little cache of those as well.

— How long does it take to rehearse, perform/record and edit an episode?
    Having to factor in the natural matter of life not always allowing you to do things in a timely fashion, ideally, it shouldn’t take longer than around 2-3 months per short story. The novels are going to be another beast to tackle entirely. When it comes to the nitty gritty, it breaks down like this:
    – We do a read through with (hopefully) everyone. For A Case of Identity we actually skyped in our Mary Sutherland, which was fun. Here I try to make sure everyone sounds alright, and correct any diction or pronunciation issues.
    – We have to work around local actors schedules for anybody recording with Jens (Watson) and myself. I like to give out of town people about 2 weeks to get their work recorded.
    – After that, editing takes the longest. I rough cut sections, send them to my producer Caitlin for her to listen to in order to make sure things sound ok. Then re-recording anything that doesn’t sound right, and having to go back and forth with out of town actors about that if needed.
    – Then it’s any final polishing, recording the opening and closing credits, and combining all of that together.
    – While all of the above is going on I’m also talking with my graphic designer Margot about the cover art for the story, and going back and forth on that. It’s a lot of moving parts, and we’re still refining the process.

I really do have to give a gigantic thanks to my team. This is a massive undertaking, and I couldn’t dream of accomplishing this without them. They are wonderful, reliable, and incredibly talented.

— How are you choosing which short stories to adapt?
    We are going in order through the canon, section by section. We’re in the Adventures now, then we’ll do “A Study in Scarlet” and “The Sign of the Four” back to back, then move on to the Memoirs.

You can head to the website to get caught up on any behind the scenes stuff, and updates up to now. I’ll keep posting here with updates as they come!

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

Thanks for answering my questions! I’m sure I’ll have a hundred more — I’ve done a smattering of radio bits, and I’ve always found the whole adventure totally compelling, from soup to nuts.

It’s been around half a dozen per story, excluding people who have just submitted a general audition. I have a little cache of those as well.

That’s really fantastic, to have people already waiting in the wings who want to participate. I’d imagine that as you continue forward, you’ll have even more people auditioning.

I think two to three months is pretty quick, given all that goes on in terms of getting so many people coordinated around that dreaded “real life” business. So stupid, real life.

For A Case of Identity we actually skyped in our Mary Sutherland, which was fun.

That is so cool! I’ve read that there can be some technical issues with Skype, in that the audio can be less than awesome when you are recording it. Did you have any trouble with that? Did you have other actors there to do their parts in real time with Mary?

I really do have to give a gigantic thanks to my team. This is a massive undertaking, and I couldn’t dream of accomplishing this without them. They are wonderful, reliable, and incredibly talented.

You are very fortunate to have found such a great group of people. I can appreciate that. I’d be lost without my ScarletSherlock.

We only skyped Mary in for the read through, she recorded her parts separately and then I had the task of a lot of cutting and pasting in her scene in the story, but being able to have her do the read through with us was great fun.

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

Goodness, that’s got to be hard to cut/paste everyone into something that sounds smooth and cohesive. About a frillion years ago, I took a teeny tiny part in a fan recording of “The Phantom of the Opera,” and I have absolutely no clue how that editor mashed us all other into something understandable. I suppose that is the glory of having the technology available — Mary Sutherland can be half way across the world, and you can still have her fully integrated with the rest of the cast.

And at this point, we’ve had one actor who sends in their audio for each story. Irene Adler lives in the Toronto area, Mr. Merryweather lives in Dubuque, and Miss Sutherland lives in Des Moines.

Hi all! Just wanted to give you a little progress report, as well as some insight into how I’m doing things. Today I got scene “D” rough cut. The way I’m breaking down the stories is basically doing what’s called a “French Scene”. That means anytime a character enters or exits it’s a new scene. It makes it a LOT easier to edit in smaller chunks, and makes a recording schedule easier to deal with. For IDEN it broke down into 5 scenes; A – Holmes and Watson (present throughout), B – Mary enters, C – Mary Leaves, D – Windibank Enters, E – Windibank leaves. So I still have to do scene E, and actually go back and redo scene A because there was a hiccup in the export. But it’s all coming along!

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

That is seriously cool!

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Hullo! Just wanted to give you all an update about how things are going! We are actually really close to having “A Case of Identity” ready to go! Just some final editing to do, and a little recording I have to do at home (intro and outro credits) and then we’ll have another installment for you! Then it’s on to auditions for the next one, which is “The Boscombe Valley Mystery”. On another exciting note, our store is open for business! All the proceeds go towards Boswell and its upkeep. Head over to our store and check it out.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Thank you for the update! Really looking forward to this!

We are happy to announce the release of our third installment, “A Case of Identity”! Head to http://www.iamlostwithoutmyboswell.com and give it a listen!

While you’re there, don’t forget to check out the auditions page for information about the next story, “The Boscombe Valley Mystery”, or visit the store to grab one of our vinyl logo stickers and help keep Boswell running.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar