AitB Forums Alpha Public House Happy Birthday Peter Cushing, OBE!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ScarletSherlock ScarletSherlock 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Something magical happened that allowed us to have several Holmesian birthdays in the last week of May – Doyle on the 22nd, Sir Ian McKellen and David Burke on the 25th, Peter Cushing on the 26th, and Sir Christopher Lee and Vincent Price (Rattigan in The Great Mouse Detective!) on the 27th.

In honor of Peter and Christopher I will be live-tweeting THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) starting tonight at 7:30 PM EST, over on Twitter @Art_intheBlood and @HolmesBlazer. The entire film is available on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc6NJDFiDew

And now, a ridiculous amount of pictures.

The Vampire Lovers

The Abominable Snowman

On the Star Wars set with David Prowse and Mark Hamill

The definitive Baron.

Legends of Horror: Cushing, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, John Carradine

Dr. Who and the Daleks; I care not what anyone says, I love these movies.

So young here.

This is him painting near his house in Whitstable. He actually did wear the deerstalker when he was just out and about.

Holmes.

Hammer’s Hound.

This and the next are from The Flesh and the Fiends in which he played Dr. Robert Knox.

Van Helsing in Brides of Dracula.

From Night Creatures, in which he played Dr. Blyss, because they weren’t allowed to use the name “Dr. Syn.” One of my favorite of his films.

Lots of Baron throughout here.

As Horace Holly in She, with bonus Bernard Cribbins.

Winston Smith in 1984.

The Gorgon with Christopher Lee and Barbara Shelley.

As Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, which is lost. WHYYYY

Frankenstein Created Woman, with Susan Denberg.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, with Veronica Carlson and her pet squirrel.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

From Classic Terror’s Facebook. Of the picture, they say, “James Carreras (founder and executive Producter of Hammer Films) and Alfred Daff (Universal Vice-President), with stars Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee at Universal headquarters luncheon prior to opening for the Horror Dracula Premiere in New York.

James Carreras accompanied the two as guests at a Uni headquarters luncheon held the 2…7th, press and columnists on hand to greet UK visitors. Christopher Lee was presented with a surprise birthday cake in his 36th aniversary, icing of appropriate blood-dripping variety. Expressions here are priceless.. Peter Cushing nonplussed as expansive Chris plunges a knife into the pastry, the post-dining cigar suggestive of a man well pleased by America’s embrace of his Dracula, including New York’s Mayfair Theatre open set for midnight, May 28, with Peter and Christopher to appear and sign autographs a following day.”

Cushing’s faaaaaaace. And Lee is all, “HEEEEE.”

Me = :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Here’s some preliminary rambling about CURSE, along with screencaps I made myself. Lots featuring the ladies of the film.

I LOVE this scene. He is SUCH a bastard. Justine is a bit wimpy, but I’d be a huge liar if I said I didn’t ‘ship them a little bit, even though I don’t “ship” as a rule. She’s absolutely a victim in this movie, every bit as much as she is in Shelley’s novel, even though she is a bit of a schemer and a manipulator. I really like Valerie Gaunt, too–she’s not singled out as a beauty as much as her co-star Hazel Court, I don’t think, but there’s something interesting and beautiful about her face–and those eyes. Sadly Ms. Gaunt only seems to have done two films in her whole career-this and Hammer’s Horror of Dracula.

“How many times must I tell you?” “I am sorry, Herr Baron Victor.”

“Are you jealous?” I LOVE his delivery of that line.

Later on, Justine is in deep crap.

He is so, so cold.

She’s just told him she’s pregnant. Oh crap.

Now she goes snooping in the lab for evidence against him. Dumb move, Justine.

Oh shit, girl!

Victor listens outside the door as the monster kills her.

Victor and Elizabeth after their engagement party.

This is the most he ever touches her. I think he thinks of her as a trophy. She was promised to him when they were children, and I think she’s honestly in love with him and always has been–several times she asks to see his experiments and to sit in on them with him, but he says no. Once he even looks at her as if he’s mentally calculating the dimensions of her head–just exactly how she might help him with those experiments. He definitely looks at her as a thing to be used–a little better than Justine, but still as nothing more than a distraction to his work. He’s fond of her, but like someone is fond of a dog. Later on when he’s really dismissive about the household accounts is a snapshot of what their married life would actually look like: not unaffectionate, but certainly not a marriage of equals.

Elizabeth with Krempe, voicing her concerns.

With Professor Bernstein. Victor later pushes him over a railing, killing him, so he can steal his brain.

I love this part too. Laughing and relaxed with the professor, flirty with Elizabeth. He truly believes that he’s not doing anything wrong.

When Elizabeth first arrives–no indication of what’s really going on between Frankenstein and Justine.

He really is a charmer.

Gotta run, bodies to cut up, don’t you know!

The “household accounts” conversation.

At the professor’s funeral.

Justine and Elizabeth have only two very short scenes together. I don’t think Elizabeth actually ever says a single word to Justine. She truly is “just a servant.”

Meet the monster.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

here’s the storify of our live-tweet!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.