Menu Close

Happy Birthday, Granada Holmes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ScarletSherlock ScarletSherlock 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

so Granada’s Sherlock Holmes first aired on American tv, on PBS, on 3/14/1985. Happy 30th birthday! Hard to believe it’s been so long.

I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere says:

“Michael Cox was the brainchild behind the production, and with the assistance of John Hawkesworth and a number of other writers, brought the series to life in an authentic Victorian era setting. It was lavishly produced and is remembered (at least in the first two or three series) as being very faithful to the original Canon.

A Study in Celluloid – Michael Cox, producer of the Granada Sherlock Holmes series, takes readers behind the scenes with Jeremy Brett.Starring Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes and David Burke as a level-headed, intelligent and ready-for-action Watson, the series burned an image of Sherlock Holmes into the minds of an entire generation. The series brought us guest stars that included such notables as Eric Porter, Roger Hammond, Jeremy Kemp, Joss Ackland, Gayle Hunnicut and many more.”

You can buy A Study in Celluloid here

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

I wish they would have released something special — behind the scenes footage, extras, anything. I mean, 30 is a pretty big anniversary!

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Right? I want the blu-rays really bad but so far they have the same extras as the dvds. Bore.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

Frankly, I don’t remember what extras the DVDs even have. I don’t have a blu-ray player, but if they started releasing these on blu-ray, I’d break down and buy one, just ‘cos.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Wow the dvd set is only $1 cheaper than the blu-rays on Amazon.com right now: http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Complete-Jeremy-Brett/dp/B00L2YXV2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427136382&sr=8-2&keywords=sherlock+holmes+jeremy+brett

They haven’t got much in the way of extras at all. A few picture galleries IIRC. But the commenters on the blu-rays are talking about how much higher the quality of the sound and picture is. I gotta say, the dvds are pretty poor quality, at least my sets were. The only negative complaint I see is that folks didn’t like the packaging it comes in.

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

It wasn’t just you: The DVDs are not awesome. They are decidedly unawesome. The sound quality was what got me the most. Super dippy, especially in “The Naval Treaty,” as I remember.

I really don’t care about the packaging. That makes zippo difference to me. Who cares about a box? Are you going to display said box? You could buy something else, like a picture or a small figurine, if you felt the need to dress up your living area.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Le Chat Noir Le Chat Noir.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I had to take my Smallville dvds out of their packaging & keep them in a generic zip case. If the packaging is actually damaging to the materials, that blows, but there are easy fixes like the one I came up with.

I hope they fixed the subtitles for the Granada blu-rays, too. They are ATROCIOUS on the dvds. If you were actually deaf & using them to understand what’s going on, it would be impossible.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar