AitB Forums Alpha Public House Happy 10th Anniversary, Rebooted Doctor Who!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ScarletSherlock ScarletSherlock 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

Ten years ago today, Doctor Who was successfully rebooted with the lovely Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. I remember being absolutely terrified of Tom Baker when I was a kitten — I don’t know why, but I couldn’t bear to look at him — but in my older and slightly braver years, I’ve come to love the show. I haven’t loved everything about the show, to be fair, but I still watch. I have mad love for Martha Jones (Freema really needs to have a major mainstream blockbuster hit, spammit) and Peter Capaldi is straight up dreamy to me. So a tip o’ the cap to Russell T Davies for bringing the Doctor back to television.

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I was SO TERRIFIED of Baker. I think it was his great big eyes! I was reluctant to even try out New Who because of that. But I had liked Eccleston previously, and he remains my favorite Doctor, even after I went back and watched a bunch of the old ones, too. How is it ten years? Wow. I feel old.

I actually threw out the question, “Why hasn’t Freema Agyeman been cast a superhero yet?” on twitter the other night. Freema (or her team) favorited it but did not comment. She’s beautiful and charismatic; she needs to be a big star. I’m greedy and I want her for DC but she would fit in the whole Marvel world really nicely too.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Le Chat Noir
      Le Chat Noir

Baker has Sarah Brightman bug eyes. It was his eyes, his hair, his unbelievably long scarf … I was just not having any of it. I don’t even know what episode I saw that scared the pants off of me — I just remember being horrified. Bless him.

I’m greedy, so I want Freema for Marvel! Woo! I’d take her as anyone … well, a hero, not a villain. I want her to save people and kick ass. That would work out for me.

Let’s see if I can do this correctly:
      title or description

Tell me that’s not a superhero!

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

YES. YESSSSS. have you read any of the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel? I only saw a little, but she’d KICK ASS. Maybe Misty Knight too?

For DC I say Natasha Irons (aka Steel, part of the Superman fam), Artemis the Amazon (who got to be WW for a time), or VIXEN. She would be 10000000000000000000000000000000% amazing as Vixen, holy crap.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

The Speckled Band
    Participant

I grew up watching Doctor Who on PBS with my mom. Peter Davison has always been (and still is my favorite) with Matt Smith coming in as a close second.

And I am always up for any type of superhero Freema!!!

Roylott: You scoundrel, sir. I've heard of you before! You are Holmes the meddler, Holmes the busybody, Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-office!

Holmes: [short burst of laughter] Your conversation really is most entertaining. If you would close the door, on your way out, as there is a decided draught.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I would even take Freema as Black Canary. Oh my god, that would kick ass. Actual Dinah Lance, sonic scream and all, and not whatever Katie Cassidy is doing on Arrow.

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

I think Freema would be a good Black Canary!

whatever Katie Cassidy is doing on Arrow

Okay, this made me laugh out loud. I got an immediate visual of the director talking to Katie: “Okay, Katie, so … y’know … go over there. And then do something. Like a hero. Be hero-like. Like a heroine. Not the drug. Be serious and thoughtful. But not too serious and thoughtful or people will think you’re a nerd and not date-able. Yeah, like that. Just like that. CUT!”

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Honestly she is getting better but her character is NOTHING like the comics. She doesn’t even have the scream! I think this is from Arrow trying to be “realistic” or whatever. But Canary is one of DC’s biggest brawlers; she’s taken on Wonder Woman and brought her to a draw. She’s trained in every form of martial arts. She could destroy Batman and really anyone else who didn’t cheat and use superpowers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.