AitB Forums The Unofficial Force Dayton Symposium 2015

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ScarletSherlock ScarletSherlock 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I’ll be attending Holmes, Doyle, & Friends Two in Dayton, OH this Friday-Saturday March 20-21st. http://www.agratreasurers.net/ It’s a yearly event now organized by the Agra Treasurers of Dayton, and features presentations by prominent Holmesians including BSI/ASH Jacqueline Morris and Vincent Wright. This will be my third time attending (though several years have passed in between) this particular Symposium and I look forward to catching up with friends and fans.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

I’ll need to set aside that money for next time ’round. Is it an annual event?

Regards,
    S.C.

"Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent." IDEN

ScarletSherlock
      ScarletSherlock

Yes! I believe it went away for a couple years as it shifted organizers, but they seem to be back and bigger than ever.

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

I will put up a recap of this event as soon as my brain is alive. Needless to say it was a wonderful event and I had a fantastic time.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Holmes, Doyle, and Friends Two !

You can see the actual program for this event here. I just wanted to post my actual thoughts on it.

Unfortunately we missed the opening evening reception because I was very late. By the time I got there it was nearly over, so my friend and I headed to a lovely restaurant called El Toro that had the best shrimp & scallop chimichangas I’ve ever had. I pretended I was Deadpool and all was right with the world. Except now I’ve craved them every single day. Man, those were good.

Anyway, we also missed the first speaker on Saturday, Philip Jones. We were able to meet him later, as he and his wife Phyllis were a couple of our table companions at dinner. It was again, entirely my fault we missed Philip’s presentation as I forgot to set an alarm and sat bolt upright in bed at 10:15 am and shouted something not fit for children. We got ready and headed downstairs just in time to hear BSI Jacquelynn Morris’s excellent speech on poisons. Simultaneously totally gross and absolutely fascinating, Jacquelynn theorized that Anna Coram from “The Golden Pince-Nez” may not have actually died. Her argument was quite convincing and had everyone talking after that. A highlight of the day.

Next was BSI Bill Cochran of The Camden House Journal. Bill was also a delight, presenting evidence straight from the story that “A Scandal in Bohemia” actually contains Irene Adler’s marriage…to Sherlock Holmes! Very funny and actually quite convincing, using nothing but Doyle’s own words to support his thesis. We also had the pleasure of having Bill at our table at the banquet. More on that later.

After a really nice lunch in the hotel’s restaurant, up next was another irreverent presentation by BSI David Milner all about our pal, the “deadliest snake in India” from “The Speckled Band.” David spoke a lot about snakes and how one could not possibly (probably) be trained to go down a rope or drink from a bowl. He also spoke about birds and ornithological societies in the UK; by his own admission he used the word “tit” 19 times in his speech. David and his wife were absolutely lovely, warm and welcoming.

My favorite presentation of the day was by my friend, Vincent Wright, of the Illustrious Clients of Indianapolis. Vincent spoke at length about Victorian hangmen and their profession. I honestly had no idea so many of them were so strange. He recommended the book Britain’s Most Notorious Hangmen fro anyone interested in the topic. There was a lot of murder and mayhem in those hangmen, and the weird tales of hangings both botched and done right were really chilling, actually. Totally fascinating, though!

The presentations were closed out by the Agra Treasurers’ own Lorraine Reibert speaking on the origins of “The Blue Carbuncle,” followed by BSI Bill Mason’s theories on the Latin American connections to the canon. Both of these talks were fascinating, as well. I began to think about what sort of thing I would present at a Holmesian symposium and I have absolutely no idea! Anyone who can put together a presentation like these is to be commended. All of them were interesting, funny, and quite unique.

That night there was a short cocktail hour followed by a banquet. Many of the attendees left before the banquet started, but a good number of people stayed to enjoy very tasty chicken and salmon, along with some fun activities. After toasting the departed Agra Treasurers Tom McElfresh, Jo Columbo, and Stuart Gill, the company also toasted Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Queen Victoria, and “our absent friends, the criminals” — after all, without criminals, how would we all have heard of Sherlock everywhere?

There was “brain busting trivia” by Nigel Bartlett — in which I came in second place (along with a couple of others)! I was absolutely shocked. The questions were so hard I only answered about 19 out of 30 — and I got 15 of them right! The winner was Bill Cochran, with 17. They had some nice prizes for everyone involved. There was also another quiz about this painting by Vernet — we had to look at it for several moments and then make observations and “deductions” about it. I did not do well at that, but I appreciated the mention of Holmes’ distant relative, from whom he explained came his “Art in the Blood.” 😀

Then came the “Readers’ Theatre.” David Milner recruited several members of the audience to perform Tracy Revels‘ “The Devil Went Down to Baker Street” –including my friend and me! Despite being a somewhat terrible introvert I managed to acquit myself all right, or so I was told later. My friend and I were somewhat (in)famous after the skit for our stylings as “The Irregular (Demon) Chorus.” I am surprised everyone made it through the exercise, as we were all laughing so hard! I was glad to hear from Tracy later, on Twitter, and I hope we did her work justice! It was quite a lot of fun.

My dinner companions for the evening were Philip & Phyllis Jones, Kathleen Dawson, Bill Cochran, & Michelle Turchiano. All made the night quite enjoyable with their conversation and friendliness.

A huge thanks to all of the Agra Treasurers, especially Lorraine Reibert and Martin Arbagi, for making us feel so welcome and for hosting such a great event. This was my third time attending (I found a picture of myself in a scrapbook from 2008, also known as “The Blizzard Year,” and I look so wee. I was rather shocked, honestly!). We also bought swag from Marcy Mahle’s table, and I’m still regretting not buying some of BSI Regina Stinson’s gorgeous handmade Holmesian jewelry. Next time!

Swaaag:

For more pictures, please see our Twitter and Facebook!

*edit* Apologies to Jacquelynn Morris for spelling her name wrong…when it was right in front of me. AAAh. I’m an idiot.

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

This sounds like it was so much fun! I really like hearing how warm and welcoming you felt people were. That’s fantastic.

I’m with you regarding presentations. I’d love to do them, but I’m never sure what to speak on/ research. We need to get our rear ends in gear!

Love your swag. Very jealous of your swag. Want swag of one’s own.

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

We could do it together if we put our rear ends in gear! lol!

I already had a Rathbone poster of The Hound of the Baskervilles & that one was five bucks. Also matches color scheme at home. Instabuy.

The Speckled Band
    Participant

I had a great time and the talks are entertaining enough for those of us who aren’t exactly literary scholars. 🙂

Roylott: You scoundrel, sir. I've heard of you before! You are Holmes the meddler, Holmes the busybody, Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-office!

Holmes: [short burst of laughter] Your conversation really is most entertaining. If you would close the door, on your way out, as there is a decided draught.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

omg I like how our icons are sort of opposites? That’s fun. XD

Yeah, that’s what I like about these particular events. Accessible for everybody!

The Speckled Band
    Participant

I missed this response, but yes! Cool! LOL!

Well, accessible for those who aren’t crazy like those who shall remain nameless.

Roylott: You scoundrel, sir. I've heard of you before! You are Holmes the meddler, Holmes the busybody, Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-office!

Holmes: [short burst of laughter] Your conversation really is most entertaining. If you would close the door, on your way out, as there is a decided draught.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

pfffaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhahaaha
    ahem

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.