AitB Forums The Unofficial Force A Scintillation of Scions 2015

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ScarletSherlock ScarletSherlock 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Looks like Art in the Blood will be invading Scintillation this year, too!

http://www.scintillation.org/

The Basil Rathbone birthday party is one of the coolest things I’ve heard about in a while. SO EXCITED.

#aitbadventures !

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

Woo hoo! ScarletSherlock and I will be very good about taking pictures, shooting video and providing tweet and audio commentary on the scintillating goings-on. And certainly, if you’re going to be there, let us know! I might even come out of the shadows and reveal my true face. 😯

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

The Speckled Band
    Participant

Ugh! I wish I could go to this! The Basil Rathbone birthday party!! JEALOUS!

Roylott: You scoundrel, sir. I've heard of you before! You are Holmes the meddler, Holmes the busybody, Holmes the Scotland Yard Jack-in-office!

Holmes: [short burst of laughter] Your conversation really is most entertaining. If you would close the door, on your way out, as there is a decided draught.

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

AWW YISSSSS 2 days!!!

"My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don't know." BLUE

Le Chat Noir
    Le Chat Noir

Ah, Scintillation. Brilliant and crazy and wild and smart and, above all, thoroughly enjoyable.

Here are some highlights of the proceedings:

Opening night reception: So lovely! A nice chance to meet and mingle, and drink something called a “Sussex Vampire.” It was pink, yummy and 150% proof of the Devil’s bathwater :D. It was fun to say hello to people who I’d just met at the ASH brunch, and also nice to put real human faces with online handles.

Excellent presentations: I was really impressed with most of the offerings.

Pamela R. Bodziock’s deconstruction of RDJ!Holmes films via Joseph Campbell’s “A Hero’s Journey” was charming. I immediately wanted to have a rewatch and give the movies more of my attention.

Heather Holloway spoke about Victorian Spiritualism and the way that women figured in the movement – she was hilarious and insightful almost simultaneously! I really appreciated the way she reframed Spirituality as an entrepreneurial opportunity for women. Of course, I totally empathized with her when she admitted that her research into the presence of ACD’s convictions in the Canon’s female character was largely fruitless. I’ve definitely had theses go belly up!

Amanda S. Mills gave the most impressive talk of the day, perhaps, because I didn’t think I would like it, and I couldn’t have been more wrong. Her presentation was titled, “Diagnosing Sherlock: Media, Culture and Mental Health,” and I immediately bristled because I have FEELS about that subject. I was being way too jumpy, though, because Mills offered a logical, well-articulated argument of the subject, expressing judicious concern over armchair diagnosis, and I found myself embracing her assertions. Really, really interesting, and well done in my estimation. I hope she attends other symposiums/conventions/fannish things because I’d love to hear her present again.

And the fencing! Carrie Carlson and James Dean demonstrated some amazing skills with very threatening-looking rapiers. They were incredible, and they were really kind to answer a barrage of questions!

Shopping: Well, I really could have purchased almost everything. It was awful/wonderful. I found a precious little pin … thing. I don’t know what to call it. It’s ridiculously cute.

Basil Rathbone’s birthday party: It was fantastic. So, Basil turned 123 on Saturday, so we had to have a big old bash! There were toasts and cake, then a movie screening and bingo. Of note, ScarletSherlock co-presented a lovely toast to the late Sir Christopher Lee. It was sweet and touching.

Overall, I had a wonderful time. Of course, it was particularly pleasant to have a chance to visit with ScarletSherlock in person. I enjoyed the diverse line up of presentations, and I’m always up for a spot of shopping. Hanging out with fellow Sherlockians is just a pleasure. If you didn’t get to attend this year, you should plan to attend in 2016. I’d like to make this one an annual event.

Cheers to Jacquelynn Morris and her incredible team for a wonderful symposium!

“Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here.”

ScarletSherlock
    ScarletSherlock

Ditto everything Chat said. This event was so impressive. I wish it were two days, to be honest. Everyone was so lovely and accommodating. We’ll definitely try to come back next year!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.