July 28, 2015 at 1:09 pm #1198
July 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm #1201
Wow, thanks for this! I’m kinda miffed for forgetting about this and missing it! Love the commentary. xD
Can latecomers (who am I kidding, it’s just me, right? 😛 ) add comments about the movie here, or save it for another thread…? Wouldn’t mind still having a chance just to chat about the film, ‘cos it’s good fun, even as ridiculous as it is. 😀
July 28, 2015 at 4:29 pm #1203
That’s a hell of a question! I think it makes sense that if you have observations about the second film, it would be perfect to post them here. Then we can just continue the chatter! If you’ve got a specific question or something that you think we should focus on and ponder as a group, feel free to start a new thread.
July 28, 2015 at 4:47 pm #1204
Basically what I’ve got are just random and non-extensive comments, so I guess I’ll post them here, thank you! Just not right now ‘cos I’m cooking dinner, lol.
July 28, 2015 at 6:37 pm #1205
Okay, let’s see… thoughts… This will cover pretty much the whole movie and be serious and quirky. Kind of like tweets. *sigh* Where’s a TARDIS when you need one, I ask you??
Also, this is embarrassingly long. And embarrassingly embarrassing. Feel free to not have to read all of it!
• Irene fridged. THAT WAS BADLY DONE, MR. RITCHIE. (I mean, you know, chillingly done, but so very not cool.)
• Bring back Irene SH3.
• Still not cool with her being a criminal either. I can take (even ship) a decent handling of Holmes/Irene, but for heaven’s sake, stop vilifying her!
• Actually, the restaurant scene was terrifying, tho.
• Ah, the scenery porn. SO MUCH OF IT. It’s basically like Nineteenth Century European Scenery Porn: The Movie. (Awkward title, forget I said that.)
• Holmes in his domestic environment is more than a bit unsettling. RDJ’s Holmes in general is more than a bit unsettling. I don’t like being unsettled by a portrayal of the love of my life didIsaythat?whoops.
• The entire stag night sequence is hilarious. Love the music.
• Jerk runs in the Holmes family. Sherlock’s a manic jerk; Mycroft’s a condescending jerk.
• The nicknames are just WRONG, okay? Just plain WRONG. *shudder*
• Love Noomi Rapace’s Madam Simza. She’s terrific.
• Kelly Reilly’s Mary is awesome. I feel blessed to have two awesome Mary Watsons (Amanda Abbington being the other <3) within my lifetime.
• Jared Harris. Took me a long time to warm up to him. Eric Porter remains my favorite Moriarty. But Jared Harris is certainly chilling and lethal. And his Moriarty does know how to hit Holmes where it hurts most.
• Paul Anderson is too young to be Moran. I realize that I say this about a film in which two men in their forties play leads who ought to be in their thirties only, but still. We do have a canonical birth year for Moran, actually the only canon character (at least of importance) for whom we have that, I think. 1840. Moran ought to be 51. Paul Anderson obviously is not. Obviously.
• Nevertheless, I actually rewatched this film just because it’s one of the few times ever that the Professor and the Colonel share screentime! This is a HUGE oversight on the part of over a century of Sherlockiana!
• And Moran is awesome. I must admit. Awesome.
• Okay, Moran and Watson in the factory. Moran shooting at Watson. Watson finding that he’s hiding behind a frickin’ CANNON. Watson unveiling the cannon. Moran’s eyes widening. “That’s not fair.”
BEST. MOMENT. IN THE MOVIE.
• And last but not least Reichenbach. I think Granada was the only adaptation to film at the real site? So what does Guy Ritchie decide he must do? HE DECIDES THAT REICHENBACH MUST BE A WATERFALL AND MOUNTAIN FORTRESS OF LORD OF THE RINGS PROPORTIONS. Frankly, I think that the Reichenbach castle would be an astonishing feat of engineering if it were real. THAT’S WAYYYY UP THE MOUNTAINSIDE.
• Final note: Moriarty was owned. Owned so much it hurts. And MARY was part of it!
August 17, 2015 at 2:06 pm #1252
Hey there! Thanks for your AWESOME reply. I am still SO MAD we have to wait through six hundred Robert Downey Stark movies to get another Holmes film! That ending is brutal (though the image of Holmes in the “chair suit” is hilarious).
Jared Harris is actually probably my third favorite Moriarty, after Henry Daniell and Natalie Dormer. Eric Porter is up there; I felt Harris really put together a mish-mash of Daniell’s suave aloofness and Porter’s evil anger. And Kelly Reilly is my favorite Mary Ever!! There’s so much about these movies that isn’t canonical but I forgive them A LOT because they’re just so fun. I haven’t been to see THE MAN FROM UNCLE yet but it looks like more Ritchie craziness and I’m down for that.
August 17, 2015 at 4:34 pm #1259Violet HunterParticipant
• Nevertheless, I actually rewatched this film just because it’s one of the few times ever that the Professor and the Colonel share screentime! This is a HUGE oversight on the part of over a century of Sherlockiana! [/quote]
You are so right, I don’t know how this has never occurred to me before. Goddamn. Get it together, Holmes adaptations!!
Robert Downey Stark though, I love him. 😛 He was a much better Tony Stark than Sherlock Holmes in this fan’s honest opinion. Although I will say that the Ritchie films are brilliant rays of silly sunshine that can pull me out of any bad mood. (Anyone got any idea why Iron Holmes is so bad at drag? ANYONE?)
August 17, 2015 at 5:26 pm #1265
@ScarletSherlock: Thank you! 😀 I must say, even I’m anxious to have the third movie if only because I’m dying to see how they handle the whole return aspect! (And will they bring Moran back from it?? PLEASE???)
Natalie Dormer… I haven’t really watched Elementary yet, but I’d be willing to watch the episodes with her in it. (I don’t know, it just hasn’t really appealed to me.) Henry Daniell, yes, he made a very different and very suave Moriarty indeed! I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of him. Harris as a mishmash like that… yes, I agree! He was terrifying.
@Violet Hunter: Yeeeeeeaaaaah, RDJ is a much better Stark than Holmes. Brilliant, in fact—he was one of my favorite Avengers when I first started watching the MCU (now I love them all, lol). But yeah, no idea why his Holmes is so tragically bad at drag. *shudder*
August 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm #1266
Sherbethed, you’ve got to watch the Nat!Do episodes — she’s excellent. She and Lucy Liu are just awesome together. Again, I could possibly kick JLM out of an ep or four and just have the wimmins kicking ass and taking names. I don’t know how that could work out, but it could be worked out. Let JLM direct or something, or go run a marathon, I don’t have all of the answers right now. 😉
Miss Violet Hunter (first, great to see you!!!!), you are 100% correct about Robert Downey Stark, as far as this fan is concerned. Actually, this fan doesn’t think RDS can Holmes at all. It’s Faux!Holmes. Fauxmes. Foams. It’s just incorrect Holmesing and, in the absence of Law!Watson and Frycroft, shouldn’t happen at all.
August 17, 2015 at 6:36 pm #1267
…okay, I’m seriously in love the term “Holmesing”. I need to use that now! But it’s true—DRJ doesn’t Holmes very much, except for when he looks out around a crowded room and that’s when he Holmeses very well, I think. But other than that… yeah.
August 18, 2015 at 10:14 am #1269
Oh craaaaaaaaap did I just give an Elementary spoiler? Oh man. That was incredibly jerky of me and I apologize. POO. 🙁
August 18, 2015 at 10:38 am #1271
Haaaaa! I didn’t even think about that! I guess it’s spoilery? I mean, not really, right? That’s pretty well old, isn’t it?
If you’re feeling generous, you can go edit your comment to scream out SPOILING SPOILERS (can’t you do that? If not, I’m sure Scotland Yard can. ;))
August 18, 2015 at 10:40 am #1272
Do you mean re: Natalie Dormer? Hey, no problem—I’m pretty sure everybody in the fandom knows The Reveal by now! Kind like one of those “Luke, I am your father” things. 😀 And I’m all for a female Moriarty… I just wish Irene Adler hadn’t been vilified again for them to do it! :/
August 18, 2015 at 10:46 am #1273
Whew, okay good! Yeah it has been like 2 years at least, but I feel bad cause that was a good reveal. Which I called from the very first episode she was in, hehe.
August 18, 2015 at 3:29 pm #1277Violet HunterParticipant
Whut. Natalie Dormer was Moriarty?????
No seriously, I did not know that! Not bothered about spoilers as I doubt I will ever see Elementary…… but that makes me want to go look it up a little bit. I am slightly in love with her.
August 18, 2015 at 3:49 pm #1279
I actually think that you would really really love it. While I really love Jonny Lee Miller in all things, this is the Joan Watson Show, with occasional Guest Appearances by Mrs. Hudson, Jamie Moriarty, and the Greatest Kitty Winter of Our Time.
I’m a complete idiot for this show. I’m like Sherlock fans are with Sherlock. It’s my favorite adaptation in years and years and years. The women. THE WOMEN. My only real complaint is that Mycroft is incredibly, disgustingly gross and that they overuse both the “Holmes is a recovering addict” (tho I love his sponsor Alfredo) and “Irene is a manipulative, evil liar” tropes to death. Check out our interview with writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe. Chat got some amazing stuff with him about the show. Season 4 is so far awayyyyyyy.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.